Saturday, April 11, 2009

Real Beaches

I bought a ham for the first time ever this week. It was half off because of an Easter Sale and I just couldn't help myself. Now we are trying to think of who we could invite over for Easter Dinner who does not have family in the area and likely no plans yet....anyone interested?

Most of the Easters in my childhood my family was at the coast in Kenya--Mombasa. Mombasa is my absolute favorite place to vacation and I miss it terribly. I have yet to see a beach vacation spot in the US that compares. For our honeymoon, Kars and I went to the west coast of Washington. We should have avoided the "beach"....we both were spoiled growing up with amazing tropical beaches. When you grow up with the definition of "beach" being a gorgeous tropical location, white sand, palm/coconut trees, gorgeous water, tropical fish, HOT, etc....it just doesn't work to go to a cold, dirt and rock covered "beach" with dead stinky starfish EVERYWHERE. Needless to say, we enjoyed the other places we visited on our honeymoon (i.e. Lynden) more than this experience.

Here are some pictures I found of our beaches:

This is the beach in Indo which I was able to visit with Kars' family in 2006.
Well, upon futher searches on our computer, I discovered that I do not have any pictures of the actual beach at Mombasa. Maybe someday I'll scan some pictures to upload. But for now, I'll tell you about one of the places in the town of Mombasa that we visited several times we were there. It is an old fort right on the Indian Ocean called Fort Jesus...here are a couple pics.

Here is a view of the Fort from the Ocean
Here's us kids standing by the cannons inside the Fort...
a little scary that Matt's holding a cannon ball...
(I loved my bright pink fanny pack!=)
Here are the famous Mombasa Tusks.


1 comment:

Kacie said...

hah, Missy I love that picture of you guys as kids. You know, I don't think you've met him, but a guy named Zack that went to HIS now lives in Dallas, and we met up with him and his wife, and she's a Wycliffe mk from Kenya (went to RVA). They've visited Kenya but not Indo, and they raved about going visiting and then spending a while in Mombasa at a nice hotel (so cheap, they said!). And I thought... Missy and Kars will LOVE it when they finally get to go.

That makes three couples that I know that are an HIS/Kenya match-up.