Friday, August 01, 2008

Lessons from the OT

So, have you ever had times you wondered about the relevancy of the Old Testament in our lives? I admit I have...growing up in a Christian environment, I often think of the Old Testament as lots of stories. Not that there aren't good stories in there...there are some awesome ones! But I have struggled some with feelings of the New Testament having more application to my life. Anyway, I've been re-reading the OT and it has been so good for me. Here are some of my thoughts from today's reading:

Romans 15:4 For whatever was written in earlier times was written for our instruction, so that through perseverance and the encouragement of the Scriptures we MIGHT HAVE HOPE.

How cool! We can be encouraged by reading about what God has done in the past, including Old Testament times. God has been so faithful to His people, even with all their complaints, rebellion, forgetfulness of what He has done and turning to other gods and idols. How encouraging to know that He is the same God and He continues to be faithful to me, even through all of my complaints, rebellion, forgetfulness of what He's done and turning to other gods/idols.

Deuteronomy 4:29; 31 But from there (after rebelling against God and serving other gods) you will seek the Lord your God and YOU WILL FIND HIM, if you search for Him with all your heart and all your soul. FOR THE LORD YOUR GOD IS A COMPASSIONATE GOD; He will not fail you nor destroy you nor forget the covenant with your fathers He swore to them.

Awesome! I am going to start highlighting every promise from God that I find in the OT...I love His promises!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

His promises are so strengthening... If you feel inspired, send me some that you find! I love you!