One of the airstrips we planned to go to was Eckhart International Airport (pictured below). Don't let the grass strip fool you, this really is an "International airstrip" since I had to fly across the Canadian border to fly my final landing approach to the south. (the yellow line on the bottom of the screen is the Canadian border)
After I landed, we decided to shut down the engine and clean some of the bugs of the windshield. As my Instructor climbed out the airplane, I heard him say "Oh, Hi!". I climbed out the other side of the airplane to see a SUV with flashing police lights parked right behind our airplane. Two uniformed border patrol agents came up to us and one of them "sniffed" our airplane with an electronic device to check for "drugs" apparently. They were very nice though, apparently this is "standard procedure". We continued our flight uneventfully from there on out. I really wish I would have asked to take a picture with them:). Although I don't think American law enforcement agencies are as open to this as the Indonesian ones who would let us hold their guns in pictures.
on the ground at Eckhart International Airport. The Airplane pictured is an ex-MAF 185 that served most of it's life in Indonesia as with the registration PK-MCX
Proof that we landed on grass
Showing off the grass in the tail wheel.
on the ground at Eckhart International Airport. The Airplane pictured is an ex-MAF 185 that served most of it's life in Indonesia as with the registration PK-MCX

No comments:
Post a Comment